Those who regularly go to the shore probably don’t stop to think about some of the unusual sights along the way. On a trip to Gulf Shores last week to celebrate Baby Girl’s birthday, we stopped to take photos of several oddities.
After you scroll through, click here to check out this post from AL.com of iconic sights on the way to Alabama beaches.
1. I can never resist a car-on-a-stick. This one is in Bay Minette.
2. This bear figure was once reportedly located in a local amusement park called Styx River Water World that closed decades ago. It stands in front of Kyser’s Pipe and Culvert on Alabama Highway 59 in Robertsdale.
3. Another figure at Kysers’ Pipe and Culvert.
4 Another figure at Kysers’ Pipe and Culvert.
5. Another figure at Kysers’ Pipe and Culvert. I have been unable to confirm which ones, if any, came from Styx River. If you have information, email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
6. A sign for the restrooms inside Bubba’s Seafood Restaurant.
7. This statue near The Hangout on the beach in Gulf Shores is part of the Turtle Tracks Art on Parade project.
8. The Shaka sign meaning “hang loose” at The Hangout in Gulf Shores, an outdoor live music venue with bars and food.
Baby Girl and me at The Hangout.
9. The “My Church is at the Flora-Bama” sign does not mean the legendary beach bar is a place to drink rather than attend church. No, church services are actually held inside the lounge each Sunday.
10. An oversized Jagermeister bottle at the Flora-Bama with a hole you can stick your head through for a photo opp. You know, in case people on Snapchat didn’t think you were drinking at the Flora-Bama.
Here’s a shot of the full “photo-opp court” at the Flora-Bama where people can take touristy type photos.
12. The shark coming from the roof of Live Bait, a restaurant and bar in Orange Beach.
Baby Girl and me Inside Live Bait.
13. The Gulf, an outdoor restaurant and bar in Orange Beach made from shipping containers.
A Tesla power station at The Gulf.
The lounge area at The Gulf restaurant in Orange Beach.
Baby Girl at The Gulf.
13. The giant shark at Souvenir City in Gulf Shores. (This pic came from Pleasure Island Condos because ours did not come out.)
14. The pirate ship on the back side of Souvenir City in Gulf Shores.
Another view of the pirate ship entrance at Souvenir City.
15. The Purple Octopus souvenir shop in Gulf Shores. (This pic came from DiscoverAlabamaBeaches.com because ours did not come out.)